Saturday, March 29, 2008

the premise

so finally i've got this thing up and running. the premise of this blog has always been to record my artwork, document what i am working on, etc.... so i don't know exactly why it has taken me so long. i am not going to put up every last thing i have done in the past, but i will just choose a random day (if i dont know the date i made something)and archive it under that year.
Here's where i started, around March 14th:

And here is the drawing as of today:

Saturday, March 15, 2008

after Picasso

acrylic paint on bristol, approx. 5" x 7"
reproduction of Picasso's "Girl with a dove". My 2D professor has been assigning reproduction type assignments to help us grasp value, color, etc. i did this as an extra-curricular bit prior to the current assignment which is to make a collage of a master pain
ting using magazine bits of color. i'm working on one of Picasso's early paintings. Will post when finished.

**later added**

Here is Picasso's original: (*this copy has rather dull colors.....)

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

classwork, 2D Design, 4 Value Translation of a photo

This is an assignment from my 2D design class. We were required to do a 4 Value translation (black, white and 2 in-between greys) in acrylic of a photo from a magazine. i chose a quirky photo from National Geographic. Here's my version:
And here is the original photo:

i am not sure how happy i was with the final product... i wanted to do a particular photo that my professor agreed i could do, and then she changed her mind, so at the last minute i chose this one..... i felt frustrated so i felt that just made the whole project frustrating. In the end though i think it was okay.

Monday, March 10, 2008

random sketchbook

after obsessing about Michelangelo's David for a couple weeks.
pencil on plain paper, about 8" x 10"

Friday, March 7, 2008

classwork, 2D Design, Gradient collage

For this assignment, we were required to make a variably sized collage (all out of pieces from magazines) and create a full gradient from white to black. i chose to make the piece more interesting by making 3 circular gradients to create some sort of composition instead of just a straight gradient from top to bottom or side-to-side. We were required to add a strip of medium grey in the middle of the gradient to show the value change, and i also added the grey strip in a different way to create some sort of compositional interest.